The diversity calculator is an excel template that allows you to calculate alpha-, beta- and gamma diversity for a set samples (input data), and to analyze similarities between the samples based on partitioning diversity in alpha and beta diversity.
The template works under Windows OS and Excel 2010 (xlsx extension). No macros or links to external workbooks are necessary. The workbook consists of an input worksheet for a set of data samples, a calculation worksheet, where all necessary calculations are done, and a result worksheet “beta” displaying the results.
The template may be used to partiton data distributions into alpha and beta diversity, it can be applied in many areas, for example
- Bio diversity – local (alpha) and regional (beta) diversity
- AHP group consensus – identify sub-goups of decision makers with similar priorities
- Marketing – cluster analysis of similarities in markets
- Business diversification over time periods
- and many more.
Let me know your application! If you just need to calculate a set of diversity indices, you can use my online diversity calculator here.
Calculations and results
Following data will be calculated and displayed:
Shannon Entropy H (natural logarithm) alpha-, beta- and gamma, and corresponding Hill numbers (true diversity of order one) for all samples
- Homogeneity measure
- Mac Arthur homogeneity indicator M
- Relative homogeneity S
- AHP group consensus S* (for AHP priority distributions)
Table 1: Shannon alpha-entropy, Equitability, Simpson Dominance, Gini-Simpson index and Hill numbers for each data sample
Table 2: Top 24 pairs of most similar samples
Page 2: Matrix of pairs of data samples
Diagram 1: Gini-Simpson index and Shannon Equitability
Diagram 2: Average proportional distribution for all classes/categories
Diagram 3: Proportional distribution sorted from largest to smallest proportion (relative abundance)
- Maximum number of classes/categories: 20
- Maximum number of samples: 24
Description of the template: BPMSG-Diversity-Calc-v14-09-08.pdf
Other posts explaining the concept of diversity
- Diversity Index as Busines Performance Indicator – The Concept of Diversity
- Diversity Calculation in Excel – Diversity Indices and True Diversity
- Diversity as Business KPI – Alpha and Beta Diversity
|PLEASE READ before DOWNLOAD|
|The template is free. So I would really appreciate, if you could – at least – feedback or write me about your application of AHP, and the use of the template. Thank you!|
As this version is the first release, please feedback any bugs or problems you might encounter.
Incoming search terms:
- shannon diversity index calculator
- McIntosh index diversity